Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Writers Block

Writers block can be really discouraging, it can last a long time and be hard to beat. Losing your writing mojo can leave you feeling un-writer like, and when you get out of a creative streak it can be quite weird. I've been struggling with it since I handed in my last lost of assignments for university, and I've felt like a bit of a fraud, working on nothing, because I just can't think of anything to write.

So instead of trying to strain for ideas straight off I decided to break it down and just look for random ideas in different places. To do this I've been buying a paper a day, looking through for images/quotes, cutting them out and sticking them in a scrapbook. Once stuck down I've just been trying to write down anything that comes to mind about the images. The handy thing about this is, not only does it help get your brain functioning and moving, but you have a reference book for later on should you need a fallback ideas you have them there for you.

I chose a great time to start - with all the images of President Obama's inaugoration and first days in the oval office, there are tonnes of avenues and directions to take it in. I also found a few other powerful images that I have cut out and stuck down. Take a look:

The Above image is of children orphened in the Israeli Palestinian conflict, I went with themes of child soldiers, I also thought of ideas seen in Slumdog Millionaire and a few other bits.

Above is Obama and his family, I immediately thought of the cliche ideas of having his daughters abducted etc but they still ensured my brain was thinknig of ideas, no matter how cliche.

The above pictures gave me plenty of ideas, from simple ideas of betrayal to complex ideas involving detailed scams and plots.


Again my ideas were becoming more and more in depth, developing and becoming more original. This showed me that the more I did, the better I felt about myself as a writer and the easier the ideas came. This sort of thing can often happen after an intense period of writing, and exercises like this can be really good to help pull you out of it.

As you can see this has helped me find some will to write again, and it might be worth a try. If you do try it, let us know if it helps and how much it helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment