Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Eating tuna from a tin and how to make it as a screenwriter?

OK family reunion and this is how the scene plays out.

Auntie: How's the screenwriting going Harry?
Harry: It's going good thanks, just trying to write as much as possible.
Auntie: It's really hard to become a screenwriter ya know?
Harry: Yeah you've got to be really good-
Auntie: Almost impossible really
Harry: Well I wouldn't say-
Auntie: Our John's doing law! Everyone needs a lawyer Harry, not as hard to become a lawyer Harry.

YES that's what my family reunions are like, filled with optimism and encouragement.

Now as much as I wanted to slap my dad's sister it doesn't really go down well at her 40th birthday party. So I didn't, but I should have.

We all know it's very hard to become a screenwriter but it's not THAT hard. God knows there are some terrible screenwriters out there that get paid a shed load, I keep going to see their movies! So how do you become a screenwriter? Well, that I don't know but what I do know is you've got to increase the probability.

There are millions that want to be screenwriters but there are also millions that never write a screenplay. So just by writing each day for an hour or so you're increasing your chances. Then of course there are the writers that do write but write terribly, again you're ahead of them (assuming you can write some good stuff) -- Then there is reading screenwriting books, this shouldn't be underestimated, people think they don't need 'how to' books and that they're condescending, maybe they are but you learn a lot from them, even if the guy writing hasn't sold a thing.

Finally, reading screenplays. So you write, you write well, you read books and you read classic screenplays. Automatically you're top of the list to write the next Bond film. Well not quite but you're better off than everyone else.

My point in this stupidly titled blog is: Be optimistic, it's not impossible (auntie), you've just got to work at it and put the effort in. A little phrase I like is a 'writer writes everyday' it's a pretty cool mantra and more sophisticated than a 'writer writes' -- God knows which genius came up with that one!

No one achieved anything by thinking I don't stand a chance because a lot of other people want to do the same thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment